Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Controversy & Doing What is Right


Today I had a controversial but diplomatic discussion with a FB friend regarding a Ground Zero Mosque and both sides of the story were well presented. And if you followed the discussion, you know my stance on the subject. My stance is that out of respect to the families who have suffered losses during this tragic time as well as Americans in general, I would not agree with building it.

For a moment I would like you to set aside religion, first amendment rights etc... and recap what your goals are in this life. My goal is to not only help people through health & fitness but to do the best I can to lead my life by an example of honesty and respect to others. Understand that I am not perfect nor claim to be.

I have nothing against any race or religion. And those who know me personally know that I’m from a multicultural background and I will not deny any part of my ethnicity to fit under a “black or white check box.” I am grateful to represent many races, especially since my family consists of many races. I believe those who are citizens of this country regardless of race, ethnicity or religion are Americans.

What I'm not interested in is making my own "perfect world" via a circle of friends who agree with everything I do or believe; I’m interested in changing the world by example and not just words. For example, not every word I say has to be "God Bless" nor do I have to claim a church denomination in order to do the right thing. Those things help but are pointless without actions. I prefer actions and will stand up for what I believe is right despite controversy, political party, race or religion. This is what I was taught from a young age from a woman who is a Christan and has faith that can move mountains, my Mother.

If you have a firm belief in something, do you take action to make it happen, or is it just a thought, less the actions? There is nothing better than ending the day knowing that you have planted a seed of change and watered it with your actions, despite it being popular or unpopular with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment