Search This Blog

Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Dreaded Plateau


In this week’s blog, I want to address plateauing. Anyone who has lost weight but later experienced the scale no longer going down may have plateaued. Plateauing happens when you have reached a point where you no longer loose weight or you loose very little. The first thing to do is to take a closer look at what you’re eating. In other words, start logging what you eat. Are you getting enough fat in your diet? If not, your body will go into survival mode and stop burning calories at the rate it should. For instance, your body will begin to store calories rather than burn them. What about your exercise routine, are you getting enough or too much? If your still following the same exercise routine you began with, chances are your body has adjusted and is no longer progressing but maintaining. In such case try changing your routine, make it more challenging. In contrast, too much exercise can cause the same effect. If you’re consuming too little calories and exercising your butt off with no results, this too can cause your body to go into survival mode and hold on to fat rather than burn it. Try scaling back and changing your exercise regimen. For example, do weight training 2-3days a week and add in some aerobic activity 3 days a week for 30-60 minutes (depending on your situation).

Another thing to avoid is crash dieting. Crash dieting is not the answer, in fact it’s a bad word, as well as the word “diet.” I am an advocate of healthy lifestyle changes that include reversing poor eating habits, adding physical activity and setting realistic goals. Crash dieting may take the weight off right away but there is a price to pay. Crash dieting can result in muscle wasting and an increased level of a hormone called cortisol. Cortisol is excreted by the adrenal glands and helps the body metabolize fat and sugar for energy. In addition, it helps manage stress. Too much cortisol may sabotage weight loss. Increased cortisol can also be an effect from using diet pills or diet energy drinks that contain high amounts of caffeine, sugar and other stimulants. My advice to you is to eat healthy, exercise regularly and give me a call in the morning and I’ll be glad to help :).

2 comments:

  1. I just subscribed to your blog. I've only had to watch my weight over the last 5 years - first time in my life and it's hard. I've just watched the numbers go up and up.

    One of my biggest problems is that I'm never hungry. I'll drink coffee and soda but won't eat. Maybe a granola bar here and there and a piece of light cheese but I'm never hungry! Can't wait to see what you write next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a delima we all face as time passes. My metabolism is not what it use to be and I to can't eat the same way I did 10 years ago. However, I am healthier today.The key is small frequent meals throughout the day and never skip meals. Be sure that good fats are a apart of your diet. They will sustain you and keep you feeling satisfied. Feel free to email me if you have any questions or concerns. I post every week and your feedback inspires my blogs.

    ReplyDelete