Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Natural Product Expo West Food Reviews


This week’s blog is about my experience at this years Natural Products Expo West. For 5 years I have attended the Natural Products Expo West in Anaheim and every year I feel at home and overwhelmed with excitement just anticipating all the latest products that are currently and soon to be in the market place. For me Expo West gives me the opportunity to meet up with old contacts and make new contacts. Most of all, it’s an educational experience. I always walk a way learning something new and eating something good.

Every year at the Anaheim convention center Exhibitors from all around the world come to present the latest products that vary from foods, supplements, cosmetics etc…People who work in the health, natural products and fitness industry are able to talk to the exhibitors and find out what makes their product so great or taste so good. In some cases just trying their foods you can definitely taste why their product is great or not so great. I must confess I am a foodie so I do enjoy lounging the Natural & Specialty Foods halls, especially during the lunch hours. I had the opportunity to try a variety of foods and by the end of the day I was well feed. Some of the foods that I really enjoyed were some new foods and some old favorites. Before I share these foods, I just want to say what a wonderful day and age to live in where healthy foods no longer taste like cardboard. In fact, there is no better time to eat healthier than now. The foods I tried were filled with flavor, not laden with salt or sugar but true flavor.

A company by the name of Ozery Bakery Inc. puts out some very tasty breakfast pitas. The flavors vary from Breakfast Muesli, Cranberry Orange, to my favorite Apple Cinnamon. These pita are low in sodium, fat, good source of fiber and free of artificial preservatives. Another product I enjoyed is Guiltless Gourmet's Wraps. This is a freezer kept food that needs to be heated before serving. They come in 3 flavors, Mediterranean Spinach, California Veggie and my favorite, Black Bean Chipotle Wrap. They have a fair amount of protein, high in fiber, no trans fats and all natural (no, preservatives or artificial ingredients). If you’re on a gluten free diet, O Doughs makes a pizza kit and the pizza crust is made from flax, potato, tapioca, soy and whole grain rice flour. Each kit comes with sauce and the topping are up to you. So if you want a pizza with veggies, purchase a kit and go buy the veggies. Another food that I enjoyed a little more than I should was the Coconut Shrimp and Sesame Ginger Wild Salmon by a company named Wild Catch. All their seafood items are high quality and they follow high standards regarding harvesting practices and being environmentally responsible. They have a variety of seafood’s that range from shrimp scampi, wild sole, crab cakes and more. All of the seafood items are prepared, meaning from the freezer to the oven and to you stomach. A protein bar that I tried that I found to be fairly tasty is put out by a company called PureFit. They have a variety of bars. Almond Crunch, Berry Almond Crunch, Chocolate Brownie, Granola Crunch and my favorite Peanut Butter Crunch. The Peanut Butter Crunch bar has 240 calories (I would divide this into two serving) 7 grams of fat, no trans fat, and 18 grams of complete protein. I also enjoyed Blue Diamond’s Almond milk, which comes in a variety of flavors. This can be used as a milk substitute for cereal however, it does not contain the amount of protein that milk does, but I certainly enjoyed having a cup of the vanilla flavored milk. An old favorite of mine is Halvah. This is a sesame bar that comes is chocolate, vanilla, marble and sesame flavor. A serving is 150 calories and it has 9 grams of good fats, 2 grams of fiber, 3 grams of protein and 14 grams of carbohydrates. Last but not least is a coffee substitute made by a company named Teeccino. This is one of the best coffee subs. I've tasted. This morning I enjoyed a cup of the Dark Roast Chocolate that has a rich chocolate flavor with a bit of a bite. Teeccino comes in a variety of flavors that range from Hazelnut, Vanilla Nut, Mocha, Caffe and more. The ingredients are all organic and include:carob, barley, chicory, nuts, cocoa and some spices. Each cup is filled with a nutty aroma and taste delicious.

These are some of the foods that I tried, enjoyed and can be found at a local natural foods market such as Clark's Nutritional Centers. Sometimes it can take several months before the products hit the market due to supply and demand. I wished I had more time to cover the whole show floor but at several thousand square feet and spending time talking to some of the most educated people who know their products, it’s almost impossible. But I will certainly look forward to going again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment